Caught On Camera

The Historic Photo Archive for Sudbury

Caught On Camera

Heritage Sudbury

Home

View all images

Old Townscape

Old Shops

War

Sport and Leisure

Education

Business and Industry

Utilities and Public Services

Events

Transport

Mid-20th Century Townscape

Humphrey Spender


Search the archive:

 

Funded by Awards for All, Local Awards for Local People
 

Ballingdon Street

Catalogue ref: pa869

Category: Old Shops

Period: c1890-1914

Ballingdon Street | Click image to go back to gallery

The Kings Head at the bottom of Ballingdon Hill seen here in the late Edwardian period. Henry Watts is listed as the publican in Kelly's Directory for 1912 - his name is over the door and he is probably the man standing at the top of the steps in the doorway. Odd that it seems to have been owned by the Notting Hill Brewery in London when there were two local breweries in the street! Perhaps the board is just advertising and does not indicate ownership. The pub was much frequented by the Bulmer Home Guard during WWII.

Options

E-mail icon  Tell us more about this photo

Flag icon  

Back arrow icon  Go back to the gallery