Caught On Camera

The Historic Photo Archive for Sudbury

Caught On Camera

Heritage Sudbury

Home

View all images

Old Townscape

Old Shops

War

Sport and Leisure

Education

Business and Industry

Utilities and Public Services

Events

Transport

Mid-20th Century Townscape

Humphrey Spender


Search the archive:

 

Funded by Awards for All, Local Awards for Local People
 

Newton Road

Catalogue ref: pa843

Category: Utilities and Public Services

Period: 1939-1945

Newton Road | Click image to go back to gallery

During WWII the Sudbury Fire Station was next to Chilton Hall House, at the junction of Newton Road and Alexandra Road- roughly where the local dustcarts are now kept overnight. This was roughly half way between the town centre and the American airbase at Chilton. When the war ended the Brigade moved back to their old HQ in Croft Road and remained there until the present Fire Station was opened in Gregory Street in 1967. L to R: Charlie Cadge, Harold Crysell, Alf Heard, Les Barrett, Albert (Smudger) Smith and Albert Turkentine.

Options

E-mail icon  Tell us more about this photo

Flag icon  

Back arrow icon  Go back to the gallery