Caught On Camera

The Historic Photo Archive for Sudbury

Caught On Camera

Heritage Sudbury

Home

View all images

Old Townscape

Old Shops

War

Sport and Leisure

Education

Business and Industry

Utilities and Public Services

Events

Transport

Mid-20th Century Townscape

Humphrey Spender


Search the archive:

 

Funded by Awards for All, Local Awards for Local People
 

North Street

Catalogue ref: pa786

Category: Old Shops

Period: c1890-1914

North Street | Click image to go back to gallery

A.C. King's shop at 83 North Street, with turkeys displayed, possibly as a special line for Christmas. Alfred Charles King opened his business here as a fish shop in 1912, having previously run the Railway Bell public house in Ballingdon and a fish and chip shop in Friars Street next to the Ship and Star public house. This probably dates from the 1920s after he had diversified into greengrocery, leading to an intense rivalry with Maurice Lefley who owned the greengrocer's opposite - in 1924 Lefley was sentenced to 14 days hard labour for an assault on his rival!

Options

E-mail icon  Tell us more about this photo

Flag icon  

Back arrow icon  Go back to the gallery