Caught On Camera

The Historic Photo Archive for Sudbury

Caught On Camera

Heritage Sudbury

Home

View all images

Old Townscape

Old Shops

War

Sport and Leisure

Education

Business and Industry

Utilities and Public Services

Events

Transport

Mid-20th Century Townscape

Humphrey Spender


Search the archive:

 

Funded by Awards for All, Local Awards for Local People
 

Cornard Road

Catalogue ref: pa680

Category: Business and Industry

Period: 1919-1939

Cornard Road | Click image to go back to gallery

We believe that this lime kiln was one of a group owned by Allen and Boggis which stood in the deep chalk pit off the Cornard Road (later the site of a Lucas factory and today (2010) Lucas Drive). A wood fire was started in the stoke hole at the bottom and then alternate layers of chalk and coal were barrowed in at the top. Finally the end product, the lime, was raked out and bagged up for use in the building industry and as an agricultural fertiliser. A railway siding ran underneath Cornard Road, connecting the pit with the Marks Tey to Cambridge line whilst there was another tunnel from this pit under the Newton Road and the Cemetery to emerge in Jordan's pit (Banham Drive).

Options

E-mail icon  Tell us more about this photo

Flag icon  

Back arrow icon  Go back to the gallery