Caught On Camera

The Historic Photo Archive for Sudbury

Caught On Camera

Heritage Sudbury

Home

View all images

Old Townscape

Old Shops

War

Sport and Leisure

Education

Business and Industry

Utilities and Public Services

Events

Transport

Mid-20th Century Townscape

Humphrey Spender


Search the archive:

 

Funded by Awards for All, Local Awards for Local People
 

Acton Square

Catalogue ref: pa569

Category: Business and Industry

Period: c1890-1914

Acton Square | Click image to go back to gallery

A row of Jacquard hand looms inside what is now the 'Dental Emporium' on the edge of Acton Square. The image seems to date from the time between 1910 and 1924 when Reginald Warner's Gainsborough Silk Company owned this building. These looms were too tall to fit into most weavers' cottages (although in some cases a hole was knocked in the ceiling to accommodate them) and so the hand weavers had to come to the factory rather than working at home. In about 1924 the Company centralised all their silk production in a new purpose-built factory on Alexandra Road taking these hand looms with them. Silk weaving was not completely mechanised at Alexandra Road until about 1930.

Options

E-mail icon  Tell us more about this photo

Flag icon  

Back arrow icon  Go back to the gallery