Caught On Camera

The Historic Photo Archive for Sudbury

Caught On Camera

Heritage Sudbury

Home

View all images

Old Townscape

Old Shops

War

Sport and Leisure

Education

Business and Industry

Utilities and Public Services

Events

Transport

Mid-20th Century Townscape

Humphrey Spender


Search the archive:

 

Funded by Awards for All, Local Awards for Local People
 

East Street

Catalogue ref: pa531

Category: Business and Industry

Period: 1919-1939

East Street | Click image to go back to gallery

The former maltings on the corner of East Street and Girling Street. The building was built in the early 1880s by the maltster, Joseph Stammers Garrard, and then pased into the ownership of another malting company, Free Rodwell, at some point between 1908 and 1912. In 1919 Sudbury Borough Council received an application from Melson, Clifford and Company to convert the building into a textile factory. This photograph from the early 1920s shows the result with new larger windows inserted into the East Street frontag eto allow in maximum light.'Melso's' as they were known locally was the first textile manufacturers in the town to introduce the knitting of artificial silk and other manmade fibres such as rayon. The building was bought after WWII by Cundy's a local seed firm. Today it is 'The Silkworm' public house.

Options

E-mail icon  Tell us more about this photo

Flag icon  

Back arrow icon  Go back to the gallery