Caught On Camera

The Historic Photo Archive for Sudbury

Caught On Camera

Heritage Sudbury

Home

View all images

Old Townscape

Old Shops

War

Sport and Leisure

Education

Business and Industry

Utilities and Public Services

Events

Transport

Mid-20th Century Townscape

Humphrey Spender


Search the archive:

 

Funded by Awards for All, Local Awards for Local People
 

Station Road

Catalogue ref: pa355

Category: Business and Industry

Period: c1890-1914

Station Road | Click image to go back to gallery

A traction engine hauling one of the boilers made by Bartons. Barton and Company occupied a site bounded by Station Road, Edgworth Road and the EDME maltings. The firm was founded by Mainprice Barton in 1868 as the Stour Valley Iron Works. It was principally engaged in the manufacture of agricultural machiney and as millwrights and general engineers to the corn mills, breweries and other works in and around Sudbury. In the early 20thc Bartons began to specialise in making propellers and stern gear and became Bruntons in 1911 when Mainprice Barton retired and Harold Brunton bought the business.  c1900.

Options

E-mail icon  Tell us more about this photo

Flag icon  

Back arrow icon  Go back to the gallery