Caught On Camera

The Historic Photo Archive for Sudbury

Caught On Camera

Heritage Sudbury

Home

View all images

Old Townscape

Old Shops

War

Sport and Leisure

Education

Business and Industry

Utilities and Public Services

Events

Transport

Mid-20th Century Townscape

Humphrey Spender


Search the archive:

 

Funded by Awards for All, Local Awards for Local People
 

Long Melford

Catalogue ref: pa305

Category: Old Townscape

Period: c1870-1914

Long Melford | Click image to go back to gallery

A gathering of Sudbury shopkeepers and traders outside the Nonconformist Chapel in Long Melford. Most can be identified and include such well known shopowners as Messrs. Backler, Boyce, Parsonson, Mattingly, Twitchett and Wright.

James Purr the blacksmith is seated in the second row on the extreme right (white top hat.) His smithy and ironmongers shop was originally at 48 Gainsborough Street (1851) but he had moved to 16 Upper East Street by 1881. Two of his sons, Ernest and John, continued to manage this business after his retirement whilst another son, Bertram, ran the cycle shop at 35/36 North Street in the early 20th Century.

Options

E-mail icon  Tell us more about this photo

Flag icon  

Back arrow icon  Go back to the gallery