Caught On Camera

The Historic Photo Archive for Sudbury

Caught On Camera

Heritage Sudbury

Home

View all images

Old Townscape

Old Shops

War

Sport and Leisure

Education

Business and Industry

Utilities and Public Services

Events

Transport

Mid-20th Century Townscape

Humphrey Spender


Search the archive:

 

Funded by Awards for All, Local Awards for Local People
 

Newton Road

Catalogue ref: pa206

Category: Utilities and Public Services

Period: 1939-1945

Newton Road | Click image to go back to gallery

Local firewomen serving at Chilton House fire station in WWII. The station stood in the grounds of Chilton House, just beyond the modern turning into Alexandra Road, so the crews could quickly deal with fire calls from both the town and the airfield. Left to right:Kath Hempstead (nee Moss), Agnes Wall (nee Lever), ? , Gladys Bowers.

Options

E-mail icon  Tell us more about this photo

Flag icon  

Back arrow icon  Go back to the gallery