Heritage Sudbury

Roll of Honour, 1914-1918

Roll of Honour

Unrecorded
Deaths

Zeppelin Raid

Contact

Links

 

Search

 

The Sudbury and District Branch Royal British Legion gratefully acknowledges the support of:

Awards for All logo

World War One

Major Charles Henry Tippet

7th Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers
(’Lieutenant Colonel’ on original Roll of Honour)

Charles Tippet was born around 1863 in Maltby, Yorkshire. At the age of 18 he was boarding in Skegness, Lincolnshire employed as a surveyors articled clerk. By 1891 he, his wife Edith and their eldest daughter were living in Wales at St. Woollos, Newport, where he was recorded as a land agent and surveyor.

Charles, Edith, and their 3 children came to live in North House on the Croft, Sudbury, which is now a dentist’s surgery. Charles served in the Boer War. In civilian life he was involved in Suffolk’s politics. He drafted the rules governing the Suffolk division of Conservative Associations and was its first secretary. He was the political agent for Sir Cuthbert Quilter, Sudbury’s M.P. Charles was also a founder and the first captain of Newton Green Golf Club in 1907.

He was a close friend of Lt. Harwood Clover and the Clover family. His daughter Marjorie married John Manning Clover of Dedham Hall, who was related to the Sudbury Clovers. His son Herbert Charles Coningsby joined his father’s regiment; serving with 4th Battalion he survived the war, winning the Military Cross.

On the 2nd September 1914 an article appeared in the Suffolk and Essex Free Press, ‘Major and Hon. Lt. Colonel C. H. Tippet, of the Croft, late 4th Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers, who offered his services at the disposal of the War Office immediately on the outbreak of war, has been posted to the 7th(Service) Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers and ordered to join his regiment’.

Charles died aged 52 on 7th August 1915, the day after landing at Suvla Bay on the Gallipoli peninsular and lies buried in Green Hill Cemetery, Turkey.

He is also remembered on the memorial window in St. Gregory’s Church.

Back to Roll of Honour

The Royal British Legion Branch at Sudbury and Long Melford